Today I’m going to show you a power-packed mental technique that can instantly ‘beam’ you from a negative mental state to a positive one:
Turning the tide.
Whenever you experience something you don’t want – you recognize this by a negative feeling – do the following as soon as possible:
- Imagine a sheet of paper and turn this sheet of paper in your mind.
- On the reverse side are now all the negative observations, thoughts and feelings you have just had. But you can’t see them anymore. You see only the front side, blank and white!
- Now write down in your mind or on a real piece of paper exactly what you want instead.
An example: People dancing in the streets, carefree and full of energy. A summer party of love.
- Now ask yourself: How would I feel if this were real?
Example: free, joyful, exuberant, excited, relieved, wonderful, full of love….
Tip: You need to turn the tide as quickly as possible before negative thoughts and emotions gain momentum.
This requires some practice. You will always know if it worked, namely when you can really feel the positive feelings.
If it works, test how long you can stay in your positive vision (in your good feeling).
Make a daydream out of it if you like. Enjoy it!
Tip no. 2: Don’t ask yourself ‘How is it coming?’ or ‘When is it coming?’ You usually can’t know this, and it will beam you back to the past again. Just ask yourself, ‘What do I want?’ and ‘How does it feel?
Example 2: My partner is in a bad mood and that annoys me.
- What do I want instead? Someone at my side, with whom I can be happy and laugh. And I wanna find exactly these qualities in my current partner, even if they are just a little hidden under the surface!
- How does it feel? Happy, fun, like a wonderful future.
Insight: We are not trying to change events or people, but to feel good regardless. There is great power in that!
This week, practice turning the page as often as you can. Maybe start with smaller things. It’s a matter of practice. Have fun!